Author: FAO & AfricaSeeds (2019)
Topics: Policy / Research / Partnerships / Finance of the seed sector
FAO and AfricaSeeds developed the Seeds Toolkit, a six-volume manual in three languages (English, Spanish and French) designed to support stakeholders of the seed sector.
The Manual aims to acquire the knowledge and skills needed to deliver quality seeds and planting materials of farmer-preferred crop varieties timely and at reasonable prices. The Toolkit is designed primarily for capacity-building activities, targeting especially small-scale farmers and small- and medium-scale entrepreneurs.
The six interrelated modules tackle all steps of the seed value chain:
- Module 1: The development of small-scale seed enterprises;
- Module 2: Seeds processing: principles, equipment and practice;
- Module 3: Seed quality assurance;
- Module 4: Seed sector regulatory framework;
- Module 5: The marketing of seeds;
- Module 6: The storage of seeds.